Saturday, December 15, 2012

Getting there

Well, my passport finally arrived Wednesday after spending weeks floating around somewhere.  I originally filled out the application online in early November, and completely forgot to put in the check for $110.  I guess I was expecting to pay by credit card or PayPal since I so rarely use paper checks these days, so that it completely slipped my mind.  It was 10 days before it surfaced the first time in my mail box, had to be sent off again with the check, and then it seemed like forever before I got it back!

As soon as I received it, that same afternoon, I rushed to the post office to send it off again along with the $100 required by the Embassy of Burkina Faso for a visa.  It was to be paid for by money order, along with a self-stamped, pre-paid certified mail envelope for its return. I splurged and mailed it off certified mail as well.  And it arrived Saturday--three days!  I was elated!

The new passport is a bit stiffer and fancier than the old one--full of patriotic scenes and quotes in dark ink. For $110 it should be pretty special!  I just wish it had more pages as it seems rather thin...  I can remember when I paid $55 ten years ago for the old one and thought that the price was an outrage in those days! But I'm not complaining--praise God, it is here, and before I leave for Chicago on Tuesday!  I will return on the 30th of the month and then  heading out for Paris on the 8th of January.


No comments:

Post a Comment

SITHO 2011 in the conference center

SITHO 2011 in the conference center
This is a conference for the tourism and hospitality industry

The convention center

The convention center
the sign says that it is air-conditioned

Street Scene

Street Scene
Motorcycles and mopeds are everywhere and don't require a driver's license, making driving hazardous

An open air concert

An open air concert
Featured in the concert are SIL's own ethnomusicologist, Mary Hendershott, and the group Space