Thursday, January 3, 2013

Ready to go!

Well thanks to the generosity of NPC, I'm off Tuesday evening with a carry-on suitcase full of library supplies.  The Mission Gifts Market went well, and the NPC Outreach Committee is subsidizing the balance of my SIL library expenses! A thank you to all my kind contributors for making this possible!

I'll be traveling British Airways, stopping over in Paris for six days before traveling on to Ouagadougou on Royal Air Maroc airlines, via Casablanca and Niamey.  The British Airways/Royal Air Maroc combination will save me $500 over Air France.  Not as convenient, of course, with odd flight hours and extra stops, but every $500 saved is $500 gained!  My Ouagadougou flight will be arriving at 5:30 a.m., so I am very thankful to my SIL hosts willing to pick me up at that hour!




Today my two dogs were re-acquainted with my housesitter to-be, and all went well--always a good sign!  Thank you Angela Bednarczyk for suggesting using a housesitter--a huge savings for me with two long-haired dachshunds.  I will be away THREE months, so I hope my dachsies recognize me when I return!

Jacques and Noisette

I will be staying at the SIL center this time, sharing an apartment with two SIL staff evacuated from Mali.  This way I won't have to worry about transportation to and from the library, and it will also help reduce my housing expenses somewhat.


Yes this is a recycled photo--this is the apartment where I stayed when I first visited in September 2011



This Sunday there will be a small send-off for me at NPC at 10:30 a.m.  I was surprised to see it mentioned on their website's events calendar--thank you Sally Swanson!  It is always encouraging having the support of so many wonderful people!  http://nationalpres.org/calendar

No comments:

Post a Comment

SITHO 2011 in the conference center

SITHO 2011 in the conference center
This is a conference for the tourism and hospitality industry

The convention center

The convention center
the sign says that it is air-conditioned

Street Scene

Street Scene
Motorcycles and mopeds are everywhere and don't require a driver's license, making driving hazardous

An open air concert

An open air concert
Featured in the concert are SIL's own ethnomusicologist, Mary Hendershott, and the group Space