Sunday, December 2, 2012

Mission Gifts Market

Well despite my doubts, everything has finally come together.  I helped out Saturday, December 1st, with the setting up of the Mission Gifts Market, and was quite pleased with my exhibit.  I had bought a black foam tri-fold display board at Staples, filled it with photographs I had taken in Ouaga, after having mounted them on foam board.  Using the foam board for mounting was a brilliant idea as the foam board really makes the photos stand out.  Someone from Wycliffe (the parent organization for SIL) helped me put together a very professional-looking explanatory flyer about the SIL library and its needs, which I will have available as a handout. *



A few of you have indicated interest in donating to the SIL library project.  Should you wish to do so, you can go to my church's website http://nationalpres.org/, click on "Events" and "Mission Gifts Market" and then "Online Market."  Find the library under "Africa/Burkina Faso" and then select the "project" you wish to contribute to (and choose from "barcodes"/"barcode scanner"/"label marker"/"web access"/ or "library software").  I believe payment is by PayPal or credit card.  Yes, your contribution will be tax-deductible as it is a 501(c)-3 organization, and you should receive a receipt acknowledging your gift from NPC.**  On the other hand, you can always come and visit me and my exhibit in person on Sunday, December 9, from 9 am - 1 pm, at the National Presbyterian Church off of Nebraska Ave., NW, located in beautiful downtown DC, if you want!



I actually ordered the barcode scanner and label maker last night, and learned the lesson to NEVER order from a library vendor if possible.  The mark-up is incredible.  I spent about half of what I would have spent!  Unfortunately the actual barcodes and spine labels I will need are of a size somewhat particular to libraries, so I will have to pay more for those, as my purchasing options with these items are more limited.  I am going to have to hold off on the computer software for a few days, however, until I have several technical questions answered to make sure what I order is compatible with SIL's current system .

*   If you want a copy please email me as Blogger doesn't accept PDF documents
** You can also send a check to the parent organization:
Wycliffe USA, P.O. Box 628200, Orlando, FL 32860 and put in the notes field:  SIL-Burkina Faso Library Project code IPC-7374

No comments:

Post a Comment

SITHO 2011 in the conference center

SITHO 2011 in the conference center
This is a conference for the tourism and hospitality industry

The convention center

The convention center
the sign says that it is air-conditioned

Street Scene

Street Scene
Motorcycles and mopeds are everywhere and don't require a driver's license, making driving hazardous

An open air concert

An open air concert
Featured in the concert are SIL's own ethnomusicologist, Mary Hendershott, and the group Space