Sunday, January 8, 2012

Getting ready to go

I am actually packing for three seasons--winter in Paris for the first two weeks, the heat of Burkina Faso for 3 months, and late spring in Paris for the last two weeks. I will need to stuff everything into two suitcases, one of them a small carry-on. In looking at an online "how and what to pack" site, I read about a Danish guy that travels with little other than his toothbrush and a few sundries in a zip-lock baggie. I certainly wouldn't want to sit next to him flying out of Burkina!

My housesitter is lined up--I interviewed 23! and I will be giving him the house-tour and instructions in a few days. I'd like to get rid of all the Christmas paraphernalia in the living room before I have him over, though, as it's starting to look a little tired. Needless to say, I also have a back-up person as 4 months is a long time!

I have a supply of mefloquine, although I understand docycycline can be easily bought there across the counter, and my yellow-fever shot that I had early last fall should still be good. And, of course, I have my passport, airline tickets and insurance.

Skype has been re-installed  on my laptop, my USB phone apparently has self-installing software, and I've ordered an unlocked USB modem as suggested by Fina Linan in an email from Ouaga. I have no idea how the latter works so I am glad for her suggestions as to what is likely to be compatible. Lina, from Indonesia via California, is with SIL in Ouaga.  She will be letting me stay for the 3 months in her lovely house in the outskirts of the city.

Likewise, many books have been suggested, and I am currently reading one by David Maranz called African Friends and Money Matters. I am finding it fascinating reading as it is full of anecdotal material pitting the Western mindset against the African one. Apparently we each use and manage money and other resources in very different ways. I've also loaded my Nook with several other titles so I'll have something to read en route.

No comments:

Post a Comment

SITHO 2011 in the conference center

SITHO 2011 in the conference center
This is a conference for the tourism and hospitality industry

The convention center

The convention center
the sign says that it is air-conditioned

Street Scene

Street Scene
Motorcycles and mopeds are everywhere and don't require a driver's license, making driving hazardous

An open air concert

An open air concert
Featured in the concert are SIL's own ethnomusicologist, Mary Hendershott, and the group Space