Sunday, January 8, 2012

The adventure begins

This all started almost a year ago when I decided I would like to do something useful using my MLS (Master's in Library Science). At the time I was an ESL (English as a Second Language) tutor, tutoring a young man from Peru in English several times a week. Prior to retiring, I had checked several library-related online employment opportunities websites from time to time. In re-checking the Wycliffe Associates' website, I noted that there were still several library-related positions available in various countries. Scrolling through them, I felt that the Burkina position was perfect. It was project-related, short-term, would use my librarian skills, would satisfy my desire to do something to further God's kingdom on earth, and would bring together my interest in linguistics, Africa (as I had be actively involved with National Presbyterian Church's Africa committee), and my love of the French language.  I also knew a couple that were working on the Kaansa language there.

SIL, or the Société Internationale de Linguistique, is a US-based Christian non-profit organization serving language communities worldwide, building their capacity for sustainable language development, by means of research, translation, training and materials development.  At least this is what they say on their website. What this means in simple English is that they study, develop and document languages, especially those that are lesser-known and without a written language, in order to expand linguistic knowledge, promote literacy, and, ultimately to translate the Christian Bible into these local languages.

Recently they have taken a very active linguistics training role, offering workshops in language analysis, introduction to the principles of translation, help in creating alphabets and using special characters, courses for writers in national languages, training in using software for linguistic analysis, and the like. Something they'd like me to do is some networking with the with the linguistics department at the University of Ouagadougou, as they have a longstanding cooperative agreement with them, but in recent years haven't had the time to cultivate the relationship. Since SIL is non-profit, their sister organization, Wycliffe Associates, mobilizes volunteers to help them fulfill their mission. Volunteers could be people with a wide range of skills-- business skills, project management skills, teaching skills, computer and webmaster skills, and, in my case, library skills in collection management and development.

After contacting Wycliffe Associates, I also talked with a couple of linguists I knew that worked in Burkina with SIL/Wycliffe, and lastly emailed the SIL director in Burkina for further information.  I decided to go there in person to investigate what the job entailed, and what the living conditions would be like. After all, three months would be a long time. I was even more excited, however, when I heard from my linguist friend, Stuart Showalter, that there were plans to move the library to a new, more prominent location. That would enable me to really put my stamp on it, and I was looking forward to the opportunity.

My project for three months would be the SIL Library in Ouaga, currently housing around 4,000 books. One third are biblical reference/resource works (Bibles, commentaries, introductory materials, dictionaries, etc), twenty percent are linguistics books, with the remainder of the collection being primarily works in translation, materials on literacy, anthropology, culture, information on Burkina, etc., as well as some general reference works. There is also a significant amount of archival material in the form of local linguistic and language analysis. And, of course, journals--some 10 different journals related to language, linguistics, and translation.

The library had just been moved to a newer, larger location, and was definitely a work-in-progress. There was a lot of dusty archival material, ancient computer and equipment manuals for hardware long gone, old floppies containing unknown or questionable documentation, but no computers with floppy drives capable of viewing it, and more... But it was air-conditioned!

To see what I was getting into, I flew Air Brussels from Paris and spent one week, September 27 - October 4, 2011, at the SIL compound in Ouaga. I had some notion of the place because Stuart had a colleague video the old library and surrounding buildings and emailed a copy to me. This gave me better sense of the set-up, because I recognized it instantly when I arrived. While there, I stayed in the "red"  guest house (also air-conditioned!) and spent time meeting and visiting with the staff, attending a translation check session, a concert, visiting a large open market, several stores, a church service, the Village Artisinal, and just poking around the library.

Le Village Artisinal de Ouagadougou is a permanent place in the city that brings together the best of Burkinabè art and crafts. There is a boutique, but also some 50 stalls where tourists like me can buy lovely local artifacts. I got to try out my haggling skills again, but, fortunately, had taken a look around the boutique first so that I had some idea of pricing.

Unfortunately I missed the Salon International de l'Artisanat de Ouagadougou which I saw advertised for later on in the month.  SIAO is a major juried 10-day art event held here biennially, this year honoring the country of Japan.  I also missed the new Médiathèque Municipale, a large public library, which had recently opened in June.  I saw it from the road and called it to the attention to my colleagues who seemed completely unaware of its existence. Well librarians are always attuned to libraries, being known  for their busman's holidays..! I also understand that another NGO that I support, Friends of African Village Libraries, is active in Burkina, and was wondering if there were other similar organizations there.

I accompanied a SIL staff member to a large local market where watched her buy fruits and vegetables, some known, some unrecognizable to me.  In addition, the stalls were filled with almost anything imaginable, including clothes, jewelry, baskets, fabrics, cosmetics, soap, spices and cooking utensils. When we returned to her home, I learned that she normally washed all produce in soap and water, and soaked them in bleach before eating them.  Somehow I don't think I'm going to be eating many fruits and vegetables...

Nevertheless, the environment was not completely alien to me. After all, I had spent 10 days in Senegal's Casamance some 22 years ago, and had more recently visited parts of Morocco and Tunisia, and South Africa. And yet every place has its distinctness and can vary from season to season. This was obviously a drier season here. Except for one night of rain (which evaporated very quickly!) it was hot, dry and dusty. Everything seemed to be coated with a fine layer of reddish dust.  And, of course, every ethnic group has its own characteristics.  The Burkinabè seemed different from the Senegalese that I had met in the past--at least those I had encountered in Dakar.  To us they might appear to live a similar lifestyle, but here in Ouaga the people in general were more polite, less pushy, and they seem to take their work seriously. Well, time would tell...

As for the library, it had been carefully moved from its former location, but despite that was in a state of relative disarray...I could see my work was cut out for me...




No comments:

Post a Comment

SITHO 2011 in the conference center

SITHO 2011 in the conference center
This is a conference for the tourism and hospitality industry

The convention center

The convention center
the sign says that it is air-conditioned

Street Scene

Street Scene
Motorcycles and mopeds are everywhere and don't require a driver's license, making driving hazardous

An open air concert

An open air concert
Featured in the concert are SIL's own ethnomusicologist, Mary Hendershott, and the group Space