Sunday, March 9, 2014

Time flies

I tried the Médiathèque Municipale again on Thursday, to no avail, as the Director wasn't in.  However, I had the staff write down his name and returned Friday.  What a difference from last year!  The place still looks the same--pathetic--but Mr. Boubacar Berte seems a genuinely nice guy, aware of the library's problems in reaching his community.  He explained some of the difficulties he is up against--illiteracy, teachers that don't see the value of independent learning, critical thinking and creativity, the intransigent education system, the lack of resources, a government that is only interested in show (i.e. buildings) and not substance.  We brainstormed a little--I told him about some of my experiences, about the Linkages to Learning program (a partnership of public schools and libraries) we had in Montgomery County, MD, about Friends of African Village Libraries, and showed him their website. . .


Donating some supplies for children's programming


With two SIL colleagues in front of the Mediathèque Municipale



Thursday after work, I walked with Idda Niggli, another German-speaking Swiss linguist at the Center, in the nearby park.  She walks there regularly, which is a good idea.  I find I am not getting very much exercise here at the SIL Center as it is too hot to walk anywhere in the daytime, and I am loath to venture out by myself after dark.

The path less traveled

Termite hill


Then surprise, surprise!  Damien came into the library on Friday morning with a new computer!  There were some network issues at first, but now we have a public access computer that works correctly with the new French language software!  And the software will be on a new computer at that! I am planning an open-house to celebrate the official inauguration of the software this coming Friday (the day before I leave!) so am VERY pleased about that.

Damien with the new computer






The only negative is that the keyboard is AZERTY, but at least I won't be the one using it! 

Later Friday afternoon I met with an enthusiastic young man, Simon Nacoulma, who has started a community organization called ICCV/Nazemse--Iniative Communautaire Changer la Vie. It sounds like they are taking a similar approach to that of FAVL with the library as a sort of community center. They partner with an organization called Asmae-Soeur Emmanuel, whose name I recall seeing somewhere in passing painted over a gate. [Almost organizations and most private houses have a wall surrounding them and a large metal gate for an entrance.]  I hope to visit next Tuesday and learn more about them.  

There's a little about Simon on the Asmae site:
 http://www.asmae.fr/?q=Nos-30-ans/Portraits/Cl%C3%A9ment



An example of a walled building next to Fina's house of what appears to be an artists' cooperative
 
Saturday, a couple of us wanted to go to the Musée National, but it was closed for International Women's Day, which is a big deal here in Ouagadougou.  Special fabric is made for the occasion, and it is not uncommon to see many women, for the most part, sporting the same cloth.
Note this year's special fabric the women are wearing


So I had to skip seeing the masks, the ancestral statues and the traditional costumes of  Burkina Faso's major ethnic groups in the museum, and settle for the Village Artisanal de Ouagadougou again.  It was a hot day so we took a break at the local cafe after visiting the main shop and many of the ateliers.  The woodworking studio pictured below had very artistic furniture.

Entrance to the Village Artisanal de Ouaga



Sitting face to face



Very low table--I thought at first it was for children


A little too artistic for my house





Interesting carving on the bar

There was also a Trade Fair featuring Egyptian products at the SAIO--Salon International de l'Artisanat de Ouagadougou so we stopped in and had a look.  Although I have never been to Egypt, something about it reminded me of the souks in Tunisia and Morocco.


At the entrance


Floor coverings


Essential and non-essential oils
Sand art









Wedding gowns?
This last picture is for my friend Rebecca who is getting married this summer--she hopes to look at wedding gowns in Paris later this month. . .

My time is speeding by now and am already making plans for my departure...

1 comment:

  1. So glad about the computer and that you finally got to the MM - bless you for all you've done (and are doing) - enjoy the rest of the time, and bon voyage when you go back!

    ReplyDelete

SITHO 2011 in the conference center

SITHO 2011 in the conference center
This is a conference for the tourism and hospitality industry

The convention center

The convention center
the sign says that it is air-conditioned

Street Scene

Street Scene
Motorcycles and mopeds are everywhere and don't require a driver's license, making driving hazardous

An open air concert

An open air concert
Featured in the concert are SIL's own ethnomusicologist, Mary Hendershott, and the group Space