Thursday, March 13, 2014

Finishing up

Sunday Fina and I were invited to the home of Fina's housekeeper and cook, Chantal, that lives a mile from her in the town of Saaba.  Chantal, a widow with three sons and a daughter, lives in a little 3- bedroom house she built herself.  We brought her some juice and biscuits, and she served us tô, a pasty dish made of ground millet accompanied with a savory sauce of sorrel leaves, hot peppers, and fish. 

Chantal's house
Interior shot of the living room/kitchen

Chantal serves Fina and me tô and sauce


Chantal with two of her children


On the way back from Chantal's house, we passed the curiosity below called "Le Soleil" which claims to be some sort of cultural center and subscription library, including textbooks.  I couldn't quite make out the sign on the door.



The activity level here at the SIL Center has suddenly increased several fold.  Monday a large group of about 40 young people arrived here from the Peace Corps, and I understand that they will be spending a week while they attend some sort of training. These workers are not complete newbies, however, because they feel very comfortable going out at night and having a good time.  I feel like I am living next to a college dorm at night when they are all sitting around chattering at midnight.

Bicycles and large white filtered water containers everywhere indicate the presence of Peace Corps workers visiting here



Tuesday, my birthday, there was a little advance farewell party for me along with a cake and candles.  That night I had dinner with Idda and Urs Niggli, my Swiss walking companions, and their friend Alice, another Swiss woman visiting from where she lives near the Côte d'Ivoire.

Talking about the upcoming SIL library's "open house"

Blowing out the candles


And Thursday morning I visited Simon Nacoulma's Association ICCV Nazemse--his community center built around a library.  I asked him about his own background, which was very poor as his father died at an early age.  Simon didn't own a book until he was 15 or 16. Later he started collecting them, and then loaning them out to others for 5 Franc CFA; starting, in effect, his own lending library! With that money he would then buy more books and increase his collection. He started the center in 2007, with plans to quit his teaching job this April and devote his time completely to his association.  A new building is also currently under construction as they have outgrown their current space.  I recorded our interview using my cell phone to give to a SIL worker that wants to start a private elementary school.


Simon outside his Center with Etienne, the librarian

In contrast to the Mediatheque Municipale it is colorful and quite welcoming
As a fellow teacher, Donkoui from Friends of African Village Libraries came along to see the Center and to network with Simon

In this most oral culture, storytelling is also encouraged
But as you can see, the books are well-used

And now a new library is under construction










For more information about ICCV Nazemse you can check out their website at: http://www.iccvnazemse.org/
I think you will see that he is really someone with a vision, started by and nurtured by a passion for reading.








No comments:

Post a Comment

SITHO 2011 in the conference center

SITHO 2011 in the conference center
This is a conference for the tourism and hospitality industry

The convention center

The convention center
the sign says that it is air-conditioned

Street Scene

Street Scene
Motorcycles and mopeds are everywhere and don't require a driver's license, making driving hazardous

An open air concert

An open air concert
Featured in the concert are SIL's own ethnomusicologist, Mary Hendershott, and the group Space