Monday, March 5, 2012

Return to Ouaga



The return trip was not as pleasant as the trip down to Obiré.  Since Stuart was to stay on for a few weeks, Cathie and I decided to take the TSR bus back to Ouaga.  TSR stands for Transport Sana Rasmané and this particular route runs between Gaoua and Ouagadougou. Cathie was planning on leaving for the US the following evening, hoping to get away before the really hot weather set in.



On the way to Gaoua to catch the bus, Stuart’s car had a flat tire.  Although functional, Stuart discovered that his spare tire also had a nail in it, so while Cathie and I waited for the bus, he took care of that business.




I was happy to know that this was not going to be a bush taxi and the busses looked normal enough—actually pretty nice from the outside.  The brochure I found on the Web makes them sound really posh stating that "Les cars T S R sont climatisés et animés par des écrans vidéo où joue fréquemment de la musique traditionnelle et des films africains."  As Stuart and others are fond of saying, much is aspirational here in Burkina. The reality was another matter altogether. Furnishings were spare and no-frills, with extremely narrow seats.  I have no clue how really large people, or those with very broad shoulders were supposed to sit in them as I barely fit in the allotted space.  It made the economy class airline seats look like a luxury.



There were no movie screens, no bathroom, and I also noted that the windows could have used some Windex.  And, of course, contrary to the brochure, there was NO AIR-CONDITIONING. Togo, a Burkinabè friend of the Showalters, accompanied us on this bus venture, along with another acquaintance of his. We were glad to ride with someone who knew the ropes. While we sat on a bench waiting for the recently discharged passengers to pick up their baggage and leave the bus, Togo spoke to the driver about getting us some good seats—near a window on the shady side of the bus.  After the crowd subsided and we finally embarked, we discovered that his connections were less than hoped for as “our” seats were already occupied. I had the feeling that this was going to be a long six hours…



When the bus finally started up, it occurred to me that despite the road conditions, along with several construction detours, the driver was a speed demon.  Someone behind us was listening to some very African-sounding music and as we sped along it brought to mind some of the crazier African films that I’ve seen at film festivals.  Occasionally we stopped at obscure villages where the occasional rider would get on and off, or sometimes more. I don’t think they bothered to keep track of the number of tickets that were sold so it could be a bit crowded at times.



At almost every stop, would be a crowd of people waiting for us with all sorts of wares to sell.  Bananas, sodas, sesame cookies wrapped in cellophane wrap, strange fruits and vegetables I wasn’t familiar with, sandwiches, roasted chicken, bags of onions, watches and sunglasses—you name it. Even suitcases and tote bags if you needed something to carry them in!  And, naturally, the larger the town or village, the greater the crowd awaiting us.


Onions, grilled chicken, sesame cookies...




The rest stops gave us some diversion, though, and Cathie said the truly annoying sesame cookie ladies were actually helpful in pointing out the restrooms.  You had to be careful in buying sodas, though, making sure the seal hadn’t been broken.  Orange-colored liquid in a Coke bottle tipped me off to that!




bananas, sandwiches, sodas



We arrived at the first stop in Ouaga around 7 pm—5 hours for a 6-hour ride—not bad!  When we arrived at the second and final Ouaga stop I was happy to have arrived in one piece, and to find that my luggage was still aboard!


By the way, feel free to send me email!  That way I know someone is reading this thing.  I don’t have access during the weekends because of a modem/SIM card incompatibility problem, but I take my personal computer with me weekdays and do have wifi access.

No comments:

Post a Comment

SITHO 2011 in the conference center

SITHO 2011 in the conference center
This is a conference for the tourism and hospitality industry

The convention center

The convention center
the sign says that it is air-conditioned

Street Scene

Street Scene
Motorcycles and mopeds are everywhere and don't require a driver's license, making driving hazardous

An open air concert

An open air concert
Featured in the concert are SIL's own ethnomusicologist, Mary Hendershott, and the group Space