![]() |
| the Abidjan business district in the distance |
![]() |
| Over the lagoon via the toll bridge |
![]() |
| plants for sale along the route |
![]() |
| speeding taxis all heading for the airport |
Meanwhile back in Ouaga, I have a new version of ResourceMate to download and install, which is always a challenge. I did get the 508 MB file downloaded after 6 tries so that's always a plus. The computer it is to be installed on, though, is over 10 years old, is using Windows 7, and has some serious issues. . . On the other hand, I have discovered that there are some ways to tweak our Web catalog to make it even more helpful if I can get a little help ofn the Web Server end. If I can get that accomplished I will be very happy, as will our users!
And Friday, spur of the moment, Fina invited me to spend the weekend. She had her Saturday Kid's Club as usual, and it again was "reading day." I had picked up a few titles for her children by Ivorian authors during my Abidjan visit so I had something to offer them. Again, her night guard, Basil, seemed interested, particulary in Le village de la honte by Soro Guefala. I spent a portion of Saturday searching for a simple library management software in French for her to use, but didn't find anything that I was really happy with.
Although their meanings are probably lost on most of the children, Fina has motivational signs posted everywhere:
Sunday morning Fina, Blandine and I visited a nearby Baptist church, which was even more of an experience than my last one in Côte d'Ivoire. Blandine currently helps Fina with her Saturday Kid's Club. The church was near a private Catholic university, the University of St.Thomas Aquinas, and a few of the students apparently attend this church. Fina is looking to recruit more helpers to work with the children on Saturday and thought this might be a good place to start.
As it turned out, it was the beginning of a 3-day spiritual conference at the church, which included a guest speaker from Togo who had spent time in Nigeria. In addition to the regular service, there was a half hour of special singing including groups from Togo and Chad, and the service ended up lasting over 3 hours with a sermon taking up half of that time.
It didn't help that every phrase had to be translated from French into Mooré. The Mooré language doesn't normally employ foreign borrowings for modern terminology and concepts that don't really exist in that language's culture, but spells out every term in prose. Consequently, a sentence in Mooré is usually at least twice as long a French one. It was a loooooong morning.
![]() |
| I'm not sure of the significance of the handbag carried on the head |
![]() |
| There were groups from Togo and Chad singing |
![]() |
| note that plastic litter, particularly small bags, are everywhere |



















No comments:
Post a Comment