Thursday JeDene and I helped Ezéchiel in a project he has been involved with, the distribution of pastoral aids to local pastors. These were in the form of a library of 25 useful titles for their church ministries which they had bought at a special reduced price through a Canadian sponsor, the Ministère Multilingue International in Quebec. There was a half-day ceremony, acknowledging the partners and participants in the project, brief reviews of all of the books contained in the collection and their usefulness, and then the actual distribution. The two of us (JeDene and I) had the job of identity verification for those that had paid independently (and not through an institution). It was a crazy experience because, of course, the lists of people who had paid, or partially paid, were incomplete. As a result we had to try to figure out, from what evidence there was, who had paid for what and when, with crowds of other impatient people awaiting verification...
![]() | ||
| One sponsor receives his box of materials |
![]() |
| here more boxes of books await distribution |
![]() |
| and here we are after the onslaught |
Sadly, however, I just heard that Stuart and Cathie Showalter, who once worked among the Kaan people in the south of the country, are postponing their trip to Burkina Faso. Their original plans were to be here at this time through early February. Citing the increasing violence and instability in the country at this time, they though it best to visit at a later date.
![]() |
| Entrance to the SIL Center |
![]() |
| Visitor parking for motorbikes at SIL |
I was disappointed in their decision, but understand their apprehensions completely. Some NGOs are pulling their people out, or are relocating them. At the same time, on the micro-level, at least in Ouagadougou, good things are happening as well, even though the overall situation in the country does seem quite unsettling. Life goes on as usual, however, at least in Ouagadougou. Here at the SIL Center, Raphel Farma, one of Stuart's translation helpers in the Kaansa language, is now helping lead a workshop in local language writing. The Kaan people are proud of their language heritage and want to create a body of literature in it. This is an encouraging sign, but seeing his enthusiasm for sharing his thoughts with those from other language groups that have shown an interest in developing a literature in their mother tongues is encouraging as well.
And great things are happening with Simon Nacoulma and the ICCV-Nazemse community as well. The organization has recently been recognized by his country with a presidential award for its work with women and community development. It is a great honor for Simon, who has dedicated the past 17 years to working to build up the Cissan sector of Ouagadougou. One small success story includes that of Pélagie Kafando, a recent graduate of medical school, who was first sponsored in 2006 when she was a young girl in secondary school.
![]() |
| Women's Co-op at ICCV-Nazemse |
Simon had a big celebration at his restaurant La Jardinière on Saturday, but I was unable to go because of lack of tranportation, the Cissan sector being quite a distance from where I am. I was fortunate see his in-laws, Heather and Derek Johnston the other day though, as they were staying at the SIL Center, along with his wife Rachel, and daughter, Tanya.
And I am happy with Ezechiél's progress in his library coursework. I understand that he has even recruited another student to attend the Institut des Sciences et Techniques de l'Information Documentaire [ISTID] where he is enrolled, this person currently working in the library at the Faculté de Théologie des Assemblées de Dieu [FATHEAD]. As I mentioned previously, the program is a French designed one, but administered locally, and will result in a degree recognized by France.
And, like I said, life goes on as usual. Last week a large group of Africans stayed at the Center and took their meals here, which meant I was able to eat there as well. It was nice not having to cook, but it meant eating African-style food every day, which is a bit monotonous for me. Frequently this means hot sauce over rice or semolina with chicken or --surprising for a land-locked country--fish, and various crudités: chopped carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes, onions and peppers. This weekend there are just a few people here before the next atelier starts in a few days, so I am enjoying a breather. Fortunately the nearby Dassasgho Bakery also has an adjoining café, which is in relative walking distance, and they also serve pizza. As the bakery/café seems to be enlarging, and a new ice cream shop is being built next to it, things are looking up. Although poor by western standards, there is an amazing amount of economic growth here.
As I drank my coffee this morning, I enjoyed a nice cinnamon roll--something new made here at the Center which can be bought frozen and heated up. Sitting quietly outside the room where I am staying, I suddenly heard the loud beating of drums and a trumpet playing some vaguely familiar Christian hymn. It was Sunday and the nearby Assemblies of God church was having their early service. The sound system was working quite well because if I had a better ear for African French, I would have been almost able hear the sermon that followed, it was THAT loud. . .
![]() |
| outside the building where I am staying |
But I didn't stay outside for long--the weather has been heating up rapidly and the once coolish mornings have almost disappeared. . .










No comments:
Post a Comment