Monday, April 30, 2018

P.S. from Maryland

Well it seems my job never ends.  In mid-April Fina was in the US  traveling around the country and stopped by my neck of the woods, staying with Stuart and Cathie Showalter who live some 4 miles from me. Stuart and I picked her up at Union Station and the three of us dined at Le Tomate, an Italian restaurant on Connecticut Ave, which I'd been meaning to try for some time.  The food was quite good.
 
Le Tomate

 During her brief stay Fina did some touristy things while visiting the Nation's Capital which she hadn't done in the past. I met her at the FBI building one afternoon and the two of us walked to the National Gallery, took in the Cezanne portraits exhibit, visited some of the other galleries there walking through from the West to the East-wing buildings, had lunch at the Cascade Café, continued on to the American Indian Museum, then on to the new Museum of the Bible before heading back to the Metro and back to my place.  I needed a rest after that so she continued her museum visits the next day with Cathie. The following morning I took her to the Virginia side Great Falls National Park, taking my two dogs along for the walk, and managed to have dinner again with her at Cathie and Stuart's house that evening. 

A "selfie" photo at the Showalters








But then it was back to work! Lauren Denny, who works for SIL/Teamwork Libraries helping libraries migrate to the library software Koha, got back to me as I had contacted her back in January about being interested in it, and we have been working on cleaning up the ResourceMate files I have sent her to see if they will work with that software. The two systems use somewhat different terminology and I am trying to see if the software is adaptable to some of SIL-Burkina Faso's peculiarities without too much difficulty. This also provides a way of catching errors in the data and correcting them even if a migration never occurs, or before actually going through with it. 


Above is the kind of thing I am working with--it makes my eyes glaze over.

As I am not physically at the Library, I am having to text and email Ezéchiel back in Ouagadougou so he can check the shelves for the books or boxes in question.   We  shall see...

No comments:

Post a Comment

SITHO 2011 in the conference center

SITHO 2011 in the conference center
This is a conference for the tourism and hospitality industry

The convention center

The convention center
the sign says that it is air-conditioned

Street Scene

Street Scene
Motorcycles and mopeds are everywhere and don't require a driver's license, making driving hazardous

An open air concert

An open air concert
Featured in the concert are SIL's own ethnomusicologist, Mary Hendershott, and the group Space