Saturday, January 9, 2016

Stopover Paris



I arrived in Paris on a short 6 hour 15 minute flight on Air France, but after adding a 15 minute wait on the tarmac for a place to disembark, another wait in the baggage claim because of an unclaimed item, and an interminable wait on one RER train, having to then disembark and wait again in a second train, due to an accident somewhere on the line, it took more than 3 hours to reach my destination.


 


Waiting in the baggage claim area before it became really crowded
And here is I sit on the first RER train before we had to change
When I finally arrived at my building, I was pleased that Maria [the guardienne] had not taken down the tree and her famous crèche, the latter seeming to have grown since I saw it last a couple of years ago.  . 

 

 

I think it becomes more and more elaborate each year. I mentioned to her that I didn't remember the small pine trees from a previous year and she said that she actually borrowed a few things from a friend.

I am also glad I got the see the Marché de Noël on the Champs Elysées, a German borrowing actually, which has become a major industry in itself. My favorite part was the Marché Gourmand where I bought a little individual potato and 3 cheese casserole at a place called La Boîte à Fromage, along with some German glühwein.
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 



I then walked back through the lovely Parc Monceau for more people-watching. Today's sights included a group of children on shetland ponies, a man boxing with another man holding a boxing pad, a couple taking selfies with a huge 35mm camera on an elaborate selfie stick and dozens upon dozens of joggers.


And as evening fell there were Christmas lights across from my apartment

After resting up and a light supper, I decided to venture out again because this was the last weekend for Christmas lights on the Champs Elysées.  I was glad I did.  I even walked as far as the Marché de Noël, which, of course, was more magical at night.

 
But nothing quite catches the spirit like video. Click here to watch.
 



 

 There I enjoyed the churros (called "chichis" in France), a fried finger-like pastry sprinkled with sugar, along with a cup of hot chocolate.

 

Upon returning I learned from my sister Janet, a nurse, that another sister, Karin, is very sick in the hospital.  She is having her lungs drained and suffers from COPD and Lupus.  If you are reading this now, please consider praying for her as there are lung nodules and more tests are being done as it may be cancer and not Lupus that is causing her problems.  As you can imagine, I am extremely concerned. . .  

No comments:

Post a Comment

SITHO 2011 in the conference center

SITHO 2011 in the conference center
This is a conference for the tourism and hospitality industry

The convention center

The convention center
the sign says that it is air-conditioned

Street Scene

Street Scene
Motorcycles and mopeds are everywhere and don't require a driver's license, making driving hazardous

An open air concert

An open air concert
Featured in the concert are SIL's own ethnomusicologist, Mary Hendershott, and the group Space