Wednesday, February 13, 2013

More news and updates



Africa Cup of Nations:

Well Nigeria beat the Etalons 1-0 in the Africa Cup.  Too bad for Burkina, but I think it was their first time ever to the Finals which was just fantastic.  I think they put up a good fight and they are rightfully proud of their team.

                                                                                

Allez les Etalons--pre-game fans rally team support



 
Watching the soccer match in a local cafe
 















                                                         On the other hand, the Ministre de la Fonction Publique, etc., declared the following afternoon a holiday for all public workers  so that they could welcome back the team on their return from Johannesburg!  Now I hear that the next day will be a holiday for them as well!!  It's a wonder anything gets done in this country...

SIL Library news:


 

Two weeks ago I put in a request for a multifunction printer/copier/scanner for the library, and to my amazement, and last week, one appeared on the doorstep of the library while I was out hunting down a photocopy in another building!  This is a huge help because it has been awkward trying to find a solution to making copies for students when the copier is elsewhere.  Of course there was  a steady stream of people from the administration building visiting the day it arrived.  It had scarcely been hooked up, I hadn't even installed the software for the scanner, when there were inquiries about a copier in the library!  Apparently the administration building's copier wasn't working... 

  The next two days here at the SIL Center will be taken up with their annual branch conference and yearly planning session.  I'll be attending, which means not spending time trying to figure out why the most recent acquisitions did not transfer in the upgrade to the new library software.  !@#$%&*?!!   I did email the software company on that one and am waiting for a reply... Unfortunately, there are always wrinkles in these upgrades, but fortunately, the problems are with the more recent items, around the time when the staff started using phoney barcodes, so the materials are usually easier to spot.  I have also discovered that 4 a.m. is a great time to download large files like the 61 MB update to the new library software--no problem at all--the Internet just hums right along;-)
 





1 comment:

  1. Great idea to have a p/copier in the library - well done. Would love to know what;s happened about barcodes... :-)

    ReplyDelete

SITHO 2011 in the conference center

SITHO 2011 in the conference center
This is a conference for the tourism and hospitality industry

The convention center

The convention center
the sign says that it is air-conditioned

Street Scene

Street Scene
Motorcycles and mopeds are everywhere and don't require a driver's license, making driving hazardous

An open air concert

An open air concert
Featured in the concert are SIL's own ethnomusicologist, Mary Hendershott, and the group Space